1. The book is written in an engaging literary style, makes extensive use of examples, and is based on the research and consulting experience of the authors.
2. The theme of managing services for competitive advantage is emphasized in each chapter and provides a focus for each management topic.
3. The integration of technology, operations, and human behavior is recognized as central to effective service management.
4. Emphasis is placed on the need for continuous improvement in quality and productivity in order to compete effectively in a global environment.
5. To motivate the reader, a vignette of a well-known company starts each chapter, illustrating the strategic nature of the topic to be covered.
6. Each chapter has a preview, closing summary, key terms and definitions, service benchmark, topics for discussion, an interactive exercise, solved problems and exercises when appropriate, and one or more cases.