The dream of flight is as old as human history. Based on the outstanding collection of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, Book of Flight traces the remarkable story of the pioneers, inventors, scientists and pilots who turned this dream into reality.
An exciting journey through time, the book includes such remarkable achievements as:
- The development of ballooning
- The earliest human gliders
- The Wright Brothers' first sustained flights
- Charles Lindbergh's solo trip across the Atlantic
- Amelia Earhart's courageous flights
- The tragic explosion of the airship Hindenburg
- The dogfights of the first and second world wars
- Chuck Yeager's historic blast through the sound barrier
- The Apollo astronauts' first steps on the moon
- The development of the Space Shuttle and the Hubble Space Telescope
- The building of the International Space Station.
New and updated for this edition:
- Mission to Mars
- Latest information on the Space Shuttle program, the Hubble Space Telescope and the International Space Station.
Packed with fascinating illustrations and photographs, Book of Flight is ideal for enthusiasts of all ages.