Is teaching for me? Who will I teach? How can I make a difference?
Teach is a vibrant and engaging Introduction to Education textbook, organized around real questions students ask themselves and their professors as they consider a career in teaching. Using vivid and contemporary examples, veteran teacher educator James Fraser continually encourages readers to reflect on their experiences and engage in a dialogue about the most current issues in education. The thoroughly updated second edition includes fully rewritten chapters, including one discussing the Common Core State Standards and another on today’s newest technologies. Newly selected primary source readings integrate the intellectual foundations of education throughout each chapter, offering scholarly and current content in a student-friendly format.
Features and updates include:
- Up-to-date coverage of new legislation and standards that influence curricula, with particular emphasis on the debates surrounding and impact of the Common Core State Standards.
- A completely rewritten chapter 8 offers an up-to-the-minute overview of how technology can help improve teaching.
- Features such as "What About Me" and "Teachable Moment" encourage readers-- through a variety of prompts and exercises -- to reflect on their own educational experiences and goals, and challenge prospective teachers to imagine themselves in similar situations.
- Rather than relying on additional readers, each chapter of Teach is complemented by a selection of primary readings exposing students first-hand to writers such as Howard Gardner, Sonia Nieto, bell hooks, and John Dewey, as well as to point and counterpoint debates on controversial topics.
- "Notes from the Field" features offer insights and advice from real, practicing teachers in order to provide readers an authentic sense of both the challenges and possibilities of the field.
- Short chapters and digestible sections provide an approach and format to reach students without compromising on high quality content.
- A concluding chapter on Where Do I Go From Here? helps prospective teachers develop a plan for their career and design a personal philosophy to guide them
- A comprehensive companion website that includes additional interactive features, prompts for writing and reflection exercises, video suggestions and more.
Teach presents an overview of the field in a way sure to keep students reading and provides those with questions about teaching the tools and information they need to continue a rich dialogue about their possible career.