Uncovering the extraordinary science behind everyday life.
From the Cloud to static, waterproof clothing and drones, there's a whole world of fascinating science underlying the objects, actions and interactions of ordinary life. The Physics Behind... explains what makes the modern world go 'round by looking at everyday technology, objects in the home, nature and the engineering and science behind things you use every day.
- Everyday Tech - The Faraday cage; Calculators; Predictive text; Solar panels; Drone delivery
- Leisure and Lifestyle - CGI; Baked Alaska; Perspective in art; 3-D films; Waterproof clothing; Microwave popcorn; Self-service checkouts
- Your Home - Static shocks; Wifi technology; Foam; Ring pulls; Refrigeration
- The Natural World - A fly's eye; Flight patterns of birds; Weather forecasting; Pond skaters; Rainbows
- Travel - Airbags; Driverless cars; Take-off and landing; Air traffic control
- Computing - Fingerprint recognition; Google Maps; The Cloud; CT scans; Touch-screen technology; QR codes; Augmented reality; Step counters on smart phones
- Everything Else - Springs; Night vision; The Doppler effect; Photocopiers; 3-D printing; The perfect igloo; This book.