This book is the quintessential guide to port state control. It provides detailed information on all aspects of the topic, including the legal base for port state control, its global application, and the major practical implications for the maritime world. It also offers expert analysis of the port state control procedures as defined by the IMO, and gives extensive information on regional port state control agreements throughout the globe.
Port state control is an ever-changing area of law. This third edition is fully updated and covers new areas such as:
- The implications of the Maritime Labour Convention
- Amendments and changes to all regional port state control systems since January 2011
- The new Abuja and Riyadh Memorandum of Understanding
- EU Directive 95/21
- The expansion of port state controls since September 2001
- The new system implemented by the US coast guard since 2010
- How port state measurements are being used to improve fisheries compliance
- The 2009 maritime safety package, adopted by the European Parliament in 2009.
This unique book is essential reading for all those who are involved in port state control, including maritime lawyers, insurers, academics, charterers, shipowners, shipping companies and port officials.