This book provides essential support and advice on using literature in the A Level modern languages classroom, addressing key concerns such as ways to approach this task and how to maximise the benefit to students. There are strategies for understanding works of different genres as well as ways to analyse plot, characterisation, themes and style, all presented in a logical way that allows existing teaching methods to be built upon.
Including a step-by-step approach to all aspects of planning, resourcing and teaching literature in modern languages at advanced levels, this book covers essential topics such as:
- Why teaching and studying literature is important
- How to choose the text
- Preparing and introducing the literary text
- Understanding the characters, themes, style and structure
- Writing examination essays
- Ways to spark creative language use before and beyond the set text
Based on the latest A Level modern languages syllabus, this practical book will help both new and experienced teachers approach teaching literature with more confidence, which will enrich their students‘ language learning and inspire their creativity beyond examination requirements.