British and American English
This collection of five stories explores a variety of different literary approaches to the genre of horror. From a violent spirit brought to life by an old whistle, to a terrifying monster who lives deep under the ground, these stories will terrify and entertain fans of horror everywhere.
Includes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, M. R. James, W. W. Jacobs, Fritz Leiber and Jane Gardam.
* The Terror of Blue John Gap-- by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
A man uncovers the truth behind the legend of a mysterious monster.
* Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad-- by M. R. James.
A university professor finds an ancient whistle and calls up a dark spirit.
* The Monkey's Paw-- by W. W. Jacobs.
A magic monkey's paw grants three wishes.
* Smoke Ghost-- by Fritz Leiber.
The streets of Chicago are haunted by an urban ghost.
* A Spot of Gothic-- by Jane Gardam.
A woman sees a figure waving to her in the middle of the night.
Answer keys and further support are available from the Macmillan Readers student's site: www.macmillanenglish.com/readers